Specific supplementation after bariatric surgery
It is of the greatest importance that deficiencies are replenished quickly and efficiently. It is therefore recommended to opt for a food supplement specifically developed for bariatric patients.
5 important criteria a food supplement must comply with:
- Specific composition
Choose a rich supplement, adapted to the needs of bariatric patients: the right ingredients in the right amounts.
Since deficiencies are not only dependent on the type of surgery, but may differ individually as well, we offer a complete multivitamin with 200% RI, which prevents or replenishes most deficiencies. In case of particular individual needs, supplementation of separate products may offer a solution.
- Active forms and high biologic availability
Bariatric surgery changes the body’s needs. It is of crucial importance to select ingredients that are well absorbed by the body.
- Vitamins in active forms do not need to be transformed by the body anymore and can immediately be absorbed by the body.
- Minerals such as iron, magnesium, zinc, calcium… in an easy to absorb form (such as bisglycinates, citrates and fumarates) have a high bio-availability and are recommended to replenish deficiencies quickly.. Calcium citrate, for instance, is an organic mineral salt and therefore 25% better absorbed than calcium carbonate and, moreover, no acid environment is needed to be absorbed (because the acidity of the stomach decreases after bariatric surgery).
- Capsules or chewable tablets
Bariatric surgery reduces the volume of the stomach. You are able to eat less and you will feel full sooner. You may also have difficulty swallowing. Therefore, immediately after your operation, opt for food supplements in the form of chewable tablets that you do not have to swallow or take with water.
- Choose a supplement of which taking 2 or 3 tablets or 2 capsules daily is sufficient, so it is easy for you to take the supplements every day.
- No side effects
The right form of ingredients is not only important for a high absorption by the body (high bio-availability), but also to reduce the occurrence of possible discomforts, for instance zinc bisglycinate instead of zinc gluconate. Zinc bisglycinate is a chelate, a neutrally bound form which will not react with other nutrients.It is a form which is very easy to absorb by the body and does not cause any discomforts, such as diarrhea. Such discomforts may occur if zinc gluconate is taken, because this form is not easily absorbed by the body.